[ISOC-CH Ann] Happy new year from ISOC Switzerland Chapter

Michael Hausding michael.hausding at isoc.ch
Sun Jan 6 17:46:34 CET 2019

Dear members

2018 is over and it was the most active year for the Internet Society Switzerland Chapter and the new board.

We continued to run the project with pEp foundation to standardise and promote the pEp protocols.
Together with the pEp foundation we attended three IETF meetings to discuss the submitted internet drafts.
In Switzerland we run four workshops in 2018 in the Value of Internet Technologies series to discuss the impact of digital technologies on our society.

In June 2018 Switzerland voted on the gambling law that introduced mandatory network blocking for unlicensed gambling sides.
The ISOC Switzerland chapter was deeply involved in the campaign against the law and we tried to inform policy makers and Swiss citizens about the risks of network blocking.
The vote was in favour for the law and for network blocking, but it was the first time that a network policy issue gained that much attention in the general public.

Our board members engaged in several public events throughout the year, including the Swiss Internet Governance Forum 2018.

All this wouldn’t be possible with the support and the hard work from our members.
I want to thank all ISOC Switzerland Chapter members for supporting us in 2018!

In 2019 we look forward to support the global ISOC action plan for 2019 that continues to build an open, globally-connected, secure, and trustworthy Internet for everyone.
In Switzerland, we will continue the pEp project, involve in the Internet Governance discussion and plan new projects.
Our organisational structure needs some adjustments and we will open the discussion with our members soon on how the ISOC Switzerland Chapter can grow faster and to be in a better position to engage in the discussion about the digital transformation in Switzerland.

In order to reach our goals we need the support of our members and I want to invite you to become active and join us on our annual general assembly on the 21 March 2019 in Bern.
The invitations will be sent soon.

I wish you all the best for 2019!

Michael

—